Fort Kochi, a heritage zone, is a neighbourhood of Kochi. The flood of 1341 had created a natural harbour here which brought in the merchants who were followed by the imperialists wanting to build colonies. It started with the Portuguese who built a fort here which was later occupied by the Dutch and finally by the British.
It’s been decades since the British have left, yet Fort Kochi still seems to have that colonial smell in its air.
People are gazing at the ship moving inwards from the Arabian sea.
A vessel is moving towards the port from the sea.
The fort built here was called ‘Fort Emmanuel’. Not much of it remains except some portion of the ramparts and this gun.
These cantilevered fishing nets are popular as ‘Chinese Fishing Nets’ and were introduced here in between 1350 and 1450.
The fishermen are walking precariously up the pole of a Chinese fishing net.
Vasco Da Gama was buried here in 1524 before his body was taken to Portugal.
Several restaurants offer sitting by the water.
Princess Street has some of the finest cafes in the town and is also a good place for rambling walks.
This old Dutch building has been transformed into a cafe cum art gallery. It’s called Kashi Art Cafe and is in the Burgher Street.
The bazaar in the ‘Jews Town’ near Fort Kochi.
Built in 1568, this synagogue is the oldest active synagogue in the ‘Commonwealth Of Nations’.
Within these simple exteriors, there is a palace with walls profusely covered with murals and it also has impressive wooden floors & ceilings. It’s called Mattancherry palace and is near Fort Kochi. It was built and gifted by the Portuguese as a present to the king of Cochin around 1545.
- Bagh: The Printing Process Developed On The Banks of Baghini River
- Rock Shelters of Bhimbetka: An Art Gallery Dating Back To The Prehistoric Times
- Blue City: The Quaint Lanes and Alleys Flanked With Blue Coloured Houses
- Dabu: A Traditional Indian Technique of Using Mud To Decorate The Fabrics
- Mehrangarh Fort: The Creation of Angels, Fairies And Giants
- Umaid Bhawan: This Ostentatious Palace Was A Famine Relief Project